I’m FINALLY beginning to get to the bottom of my unblogged sewing pile – hooray! Today it’s the Prefontaine shorts.
I originally bought this pattern to try out as a teaching pattern for the beginners sewing course I wrote a few months ago. They didn’t have *quite* as many elements in them as I’d been hoping (for teaching purposes). I could still easily modify the pattern slightly to make this happen so they still may make an appearance in that course down the track.
For now though, these shorts were a great way for me to use up some stashed fabric as well as gain some much needed summer pjs.
It’s rare for me to able to sew something that doesn’t require a trip to the fabric store but these used less than a yard of fabric, some elastic and I made my own bias tape using this pictorial tute for continuous bias tape that I wrote earlier this year.
Version & Mods
I made a fairly simple version. Regular length with an encased waistband and no addition of back pockets, although there are options available for welt and patch pockets or an exposed sport waistband.
Size & Fit
I cut a size 6 based on my measurements and I think they’re fine for pjs but if I made them again for day wear, I’d probably go down a size. In fairness, I’ve also lost a couple of kgs from the time I made them to the time I took the pics so that might also account for the loose fit.
Amy Butler design quilting cotton. I actually don’t think the fabric choice was the best for pjs as it feels quite stiff but I was DETERMINED not to buy any new fabric for this make!! I think if I made them again for pjs I’d used a lawn or something softer and more comfy.
Lots of useful photos to accompany the comprehensive instructions. I admit I didn’t use the instructions a heap as I’ve made similar pairs of bias trimmed shorts for my boys before and the process was very similar.
Not difficult at all. Actually this is a great pattern to try if you’re a beginner who has made simple shorts and looking for something a bit more challenging. Attaching the bias tape can take a bit of practice though. I’ve improved on this skill massively this year – it really does just take practice and learning a few tricks so don’t let that put you off if you haven’t had success in the past!!
I’m definitely happy with these pjs and would be keen to make more in the future with a different fabric choice.
If you know of anywhere to buy lovely soft cotton that’s great for this kind of project PLEASE share it with me!!